Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Proud to be Weird

I am proud to be weird.

The other night my husband and I were talking. I confessed that I didn't understand why people thought that Mormons were weird.

"I'm not weird" I said. "I am a completely normal person. Why do people think that I, as a Mormon, am weird, an outsider, different."

"You ARE weird!" He said. "Think about all the things that you DON'T do that most people DO."

I thought about it. And realized very quickly that I was indeed very very weird. I DON'T drink, smoke, see rated R movies, drink coffee, drink caffeine, dress immodestly, use swear words. I DO attend church regularly, value life, value families, strive to be honest and true in all that I do, respect my fellow man- no matter who they are or what decisions that make, have a knowledge that we are children of our Heavenly Father and believe deeply in our Savior, Jesus Christ, know that a Prophet lives and guides us today, know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet, and yes he found gold plates and translated them through the power of God.

These things seem so normal to me. They are so engrained into every fiber of my being. I cannot imagine being or believing anything else. These things are not the norm of our society. Which makes me weird.

I started the evening not understanding and even disagreeing with the general view of Mormons in most of society. Now I get it. We are different. We stand out from the crowd. We are weird.

And I am Proud and GRATEFUL to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A Mormon. (And weird. ^_^)

No comments: